Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The internet obsession


The internet has quickly evolved due to great minds dreaming up new ways for us to socially interact, ushering in numerous websites to keep us obsessed with our computers.  It is truly amazing and wonderful how many new concepts have been born in the course of a very few years.


My favorite is the blogging concept which I first discovered on Yahoo 360.  The internet obsession initially caught me with MSN Communities, where I started a gardening community that grew to over 1000 members.  We swapped plants and seeds through the mail and local members got together for the plant swaps.   


Both websites are long gone and it is equally amazing to me how fast they come and go.  Of course they go as soon as you get all comfy in the obsession . . . then you have to start all over again somewhere else, finding those friends you made.  Many scatter to different websites and we lose track.  When an "old friend" is found again, it is like bumping into someone you haven't seen in a while at the grocery store.


When I first heard of Twitter, I really didn't get it, but I dove in anyway . . . same with Facebook.  You almost have to participate in both since they have been interwoven into new concepts where they interact together.


My newest discovery is Pinterest . . . and I will admit that within a few days of joining, I'm obsessed.


If you haven't heard about it yet . . . I'll use most of the words from their website . . . Pinterest is a Virtual Pinboard which lets you organize and share all those inspirational things that you find on the internet. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes. You can browse and follow the pinboards of other members with similar interests for inspiration and an awesome way to discover new websites and blogs.


Pinterest also interacts with your Twitter and Facebook account . . . check it out if you haven't already!


Follow Me on Pinterest


Through the years I've been obsessed with different aspects of the internet and it has been interesting to think about all the different stages I've gone through.  When I first started blogging, I remember making the observation that I make a living online, pay my bills, play games, chat and communicate with friends, order pizza delivery . . . I even found my husband online!


What are some of your online obsessions and thoughts on your internet experience?




2 comments:

Capt Black Eagle said...

You are on to something here, I look forward to more.

The Desert Rocks said...

I am on the computer all day...too much actually but I enjoy it.