Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Abundant blessings of love

It has been a whirlwind of days that have flown by!


This week has been about love . . . abundant blessings of love.  


My cousin Leslie and her husband Ralph celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this weekend.  It is such a joy to spend time with family . . . there are many of us . . . and so much happiness and love :)  It has been an awesome time for most of us.  We are truly blessed . . . I'm so grateful!


Needless to say, I overdid it and have ended up mostly bedridden again.  When I'm feeling good, I tend to push the limits of my arthritis and it bites me back.  As a result, I'm trying catching up on sleep again . . . that is, when Mimi the cat lets me.  She is such a spoiled little thing . . . she wakes me up since she is not getting attention when I'm sleeping.  Looks like I'm going to have to close the door when I really want to sleep!


We came home from Leslie and Ralph's party to hear of Whitney Houston's death.  The media coverage is troubling as usual.  They love to tell the story of a rising star only to tear them up in their bad times.  Way too much information . . . today they released photos of the bathtub she supposedly drowned in.  We are a sick society!


I wrote more about Whitney on two of my other blogs . . . Gina's Music Memories and Babyboomer Flashback.  


Once again, the nation's conversation has turned to drug and alcohol abuse . . . and the role doctors play in the whole scenario.  Since my sister-in-law's brother died of an overdose on Thanksgiving, I have readdressed my relationship with prescription drugs and have been successfully weaning myself off.  My new doctor questioned the use of certain drugs I had been prescribed in the past . . . and not very happy about them.  Nice to have a doctor that is not a pill pusher!  


Maybe prescription drugs are being given out way too freely and not monitored effectively as a rule . . . what do you think?


Last week's news was so sad with the death of the two little Powell boys at the hands of their sick dad. How can a human being be so selfish?  Very sad situation and my thoughts and prayers are with Susan Powell's family . . . and now with Whitney Houston's family making final preparations.  May the media let them all have peace to grieve . . .


Hope that everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day with abundant blessings of love!




6 comments:

SweetMelody said...

My greetings from France!
After visiting your blog, I could not leave without putting a comment.
I congratulate you on your blog!
Maybe I would have the opportunity to welcome you on mine too!
My blog is in french, but on the right is the Google translator!
good day
cordially
Chris
http://sweetmelody87.blogspot.com/

http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

The Desert Rocks said...

Gina, you always have such thoughtful things to say. I hope you feel better soon and I totally agree that prescription drugs are very dangerous and over prescribed. My healthy dad had some aches and pains from playing sports all his life and went to get a blemish removed from his nose. The pain killer from the nose interacted with the pain killer for his legs and hips and he died of a heart attack in 2005. I hate medicine and I keep sending my husband to the acupuncture guy who seems to be making a difference. Hugs to you!

Gina Alfani said...

OMG Eve, I'm so sorry about your dad! What an awful thing you had to go through . . .

I also hate medicine . . . and the doctors who are way too chummy with the reps who push the pills. I've worked in the medical field and have seen first hand how the pill pushers cater to doctors and their staff.

My new doctor educated me on the medications that I was legally prescribed so many years ago. Honestly, I'm lucky to be alive because I trusted the doctor who gave me these medications with no warnings about them. At the time I was too distraught with grief from the death of my husband to do my research. I was doing everything wrong and it was my normal routine.

uggghhh I'm getting angry again . . .

Thank you for the sweet words :)

Gina Alfani said...

Hi Chris . . . thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog :)

Catherine said...

Dear Gina, I just read this post. I hope that you are much better.
I do agree it is nice to find a doctor that does not just write out a script for everything but considers things as a whole.
I am glad that you are weaning yourself from these.
Try using natures cures like ginger, papaya, garlic, pineapple etc.. Well, I hope that I am not rambling. I just hope that this note finds you feeling much better.
Blessings my dearest, Catherine xo

Gina Alfani said...

Thanks for the sweet comment Catherine :)

Rambles are wonderful!

I'm still having some bad days, but the good days make up for them :))