Thursday, November 24, 2016

Dreams of Back in the Day




ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED APRIL 2014 IN LABELLADIVA.COM


Dreams can take you back to a time and place in vivid detail, at least they do for me. Since I’ve had this virus or flu that has hung on for way too long, sleep has been something craved and enjoyed.

This afternoon’s nap took me to a dream back to my childhood days of the 60’s. When I woke up, it felt as if I had actually been there again, reliving the moment, visiting with those loved ones that are no longer with us. It is truly a gift.

Anyway, the dream was part real and part parody . . . dreams can be like that. It was set back in the day, but I was a child in present day. The time and place was a party, probably around the holidays, at my godmother and godfather’s house. They had grand parties and as a child I loved them!

The food and drinks were overflowing, the music was playing loud and there were the regulars who were on the “dance floor.” You know how people get when they have alcoholic beverages, a bit less inhibited. Well, I can remember sitting on the couch with my Nana having a good time laughing with raised eyebrows at those who were really getting into the watusi or whatever dance they were shaking their booty to. In real life, we did that all the time!

It is very annoying that I can’t remember all the stuff that I remember right after I woke up. Don’t you hate that about dreams?

The good thing is I remember the people in the dream. Especially my Nana. I miss her so much and dream of her often. Sometimes I think I “wish” myself into a dream with her in it. It must sound crazy to someone who does not dream like I do. My Nana does not visit my mom in her dreams no matter how much she craves a visit with her mom. I tell her about mine like it was a real visit, we have a good cry at the days she was with us and how much we miss her. Dreams can be bittersweet!

On the other hand, The Captain has dreams of the military that are disturbing and often keep him from having a good night’s sleep. On occasion, I’ll have those disturbing dreams where someone is chasing me and I wake up exhausted and will fight my sleep so I won’t go back there. Bad dreams are like that . . . I often go back to them and feel like I can’t get out of it!

Dreams also have a strong power of suggestion . . . after seeing all that food spread out on those tables, I woke up so hungry for all that good holiday food. Of course, there is none of that type of food in the kitchen and it is later at night and too late for a trip to the store. I should go back to sleep and try to go back to that dream so I can have some of that awesome food.


No comments: